[Nel] RE: GPL confusion

From: Jon Watte
Subject: [Nel] RE: GPL confusion
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:19:49 -0800

> Therefore, the current development code is in the public
> domain, therefore should be published.

I find two things confusing about this sentence.

1) Something that is under GPL is explicitly NOT in the public
domain, as something under the GPL suffers substantially more
restrictive licensing than something that is in the public
domain. Basically, if it's in the PD, you can do what you want
to it, except POSSIBLY not mis-represent the origin. The GPL
imposes many more strictures on your use of the code.

2) The GPL only requires that source code is made available
free of charge to anyone who purchases binaries, and that no
restrictions are made on the purchaser's rights to use that
source code (including subsequent redistribution). If Ryzom is
not for sale to anyone, then there is no requirement for the
developers thereof to make any source code available.

Now, the GPL may have changed slightly since I last read it
through in full, but your statement does not seem to be based
on the actual language of the GPL.