[Nel] Copyright, Patents and the GPL

From: Olivier Lejade
Subject: [Nel] Copyright, Patents and the GPL
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 15:10:14 +0200

Wow, I'm out of town for three days and I miss all the fun ! :)
Anyway, here goes my 0.02$.

About the "game rules" issue:
John and Dave pretty much hit the nail on the head, so I won't go into an extended rant. I'll only add that although you could probably (as Dave mentionned) patent your rules *in the US*, it would most certainly be a bad idea as it is very expensive and time consuming to fill such a patent and numerous countries will not recognize it anyway. Keep in mind that software and business method patents are highly objectionable in the first place. You can read more about this subject here:
http://www.freepatents.org/
and here:
http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/against-software-patents.html

European citizens should also consider signing the petition against software patents:
http://petition.eurolinux.org/index.html?LANG=en

As for the Pro/Anti GPL debate:
Stephane Craux, I'm afraid you are *completely* missing the point of Free Software. If you are genuinely interested in learning about it and understanding what it stands for, I strongly suggest you spend some time reading the texts on the GNU project's "philosophy" page:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/
But I suspect you're only trolling... :(

Finally, for those who still have questions about NeL's license, don't forget: the GPL FAQ is your friend !
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html

Hope this helps !

O.

-- Nevrax --