monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] Docs in /usr/share/doc/monotone

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] Docs in /usr/share/doc/monotone
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:26:50 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:41:46 +0100, Francis Russell
<address@hidden> said:

francis> Can someone remind me why the docs are placed here and not in
francis> /usr/share/doc/monotone-doc (and possibly symlinked)? Lintian raises a
francis> warning since monotone-doc has a dependency on monotone but the docs
francis> package should be installable without installing monotone.

I can't quite remember...  actually, I think it was done this way
before I started fiddling with Debian packaging, so I simply did the
same thing when I rewrote rules.

According to the policy manual version 3.9.3.1 (which it what's up on
the web right now), doing it as we do it now is perfectly permissible
(see 12.3 Additional documentation, next to last paragraph), except
monotone-doc should then Depend on monotone, not just suggest it.

Personally, I don't really care which way we go, I've no real trouble
having monotone-doc have a separate /usr/share/doc/monotone-doc
instead of softlinking it to /usr/share/monotone.

Either way, I just noticed I need to edit the comment about
override_dh_installdocs: in rules...  that comment is antique!

francis> The control file says monotone-docs should only suggest monotone, but
francis> the dependency of the binary package is hard. I guess it's because the
francis> docs are being installed in /usr/share/doc/monotone but I'm unsure.

Yup.

Either monotone-doc needs to Depend on monotone, or remove
--link-doc=monotone from the dh_installdocs command.

Cheers,
Richard

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/