Re: "for X cycles" has no effect

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: "for X cycles" has no effect
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 16:33:16 -0700

On 10/7/16 15:03, address@hidden wrote:
When I add "for X cycles" to my statements in monitrc, e.g.,

if cpu usage > 95% for 5 cycles then alert

It has no effect.  It alerts every cycle as if it was "for 1 cycles."

Is there something else I need to do for the limit to be reached multiple times
 before alerting?

I am running monit-5.19.0 on Linux 3.19.8.

The CPU resource test doesn't use the word 'usage' in it - it's either just

        if cpu > 95% [etc] or
        if total cpu([user|system|wait]) > 95% [etc]

I found cpu too sensitive most of the time in my use-case, and stick with just loadavg -

        if loadavg (5min) is greater than 3.0 for 2 cycles then alert

that gives you a smooth(er) window against to test if the system is really under continuous load or just dealing with a very brief spike or spikes.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com