How to stop a process permanent

From: Lutz Mader
Subject: How to stop a process permanent
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 13:12:08 +0200

Hi all folks,
I start using monit some months ago and got a problem all the time a
"Process" or "Program" was stopped via monit and became "Not monitored"
(the process was gone), but started by someone else manually later
(started outside from monit).

This is sometimes a problem, because independent of a process is running
or stopped, monit gives the information "Not monitored" all the time and
there is no way to stop this "Zombieā€œ via monit.
The service monitoring mode is active all the, this is the default.

My question, how to stop a process via monit permanently.
How to identify such a manually startet process and how to get the right
state for this processes.

Today my understanding of "Not monitored" is, monit ignore the "Process"
or "Program" (the "status" and "monitoring status" is set to "Not
monitored"),
but this is not something like a "Stopped" status.

Any suggestion how to handle this,
Lutz

p.s.
I start using monit in january this year with some AIX, Linux systems to
migrate the application startup, stopping and monitoring to a more
useful tool.
In the past we, I use lots of application specific start, stop, monitor
scripts, but this doesn't fit my understanding of the way how to do this.

I start using monit to get a useful tool to do all the systems
housekeeping in a easy way with a uniform interface to handle all the
actions.