Re: Unable to do connection Testing via https

From: Marcus Mülbüsch
Subject: Re: Unable to do connection Testing via https
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:52:32 +0200

Am 02.10.2014 um 18:51 schrieb Jan-Henrik Haukeland:
On 02 Oct 2014, at 18:30, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden>
 wrote:

Your base64 encoded string seems wrong if credentials are what you
 say they are

My bad, my method included a new line :-/ Your Authorization header
is fine and should work. The 401 status reply you get from the server
indicate that the credentials are not accepted by the server or at
that path. The 407 status reported by your HTTP server indicate that
you have or require a Proxy server authentication!? Maybe try the
test at a different path which goes directly to the HTTP server?

   Thanks to the help of another list member who contacted me off list I
tried it with a different syntax (had to shorten the password to simply
"open" because the space created problems):

if failed (url
https://Aladdin:address@hidden/LOG0/FAULT/mod_cmd.xml?cmd=something
with content == 'alarms') then alert

   This works and results in:

'uri.to.check' succeeded connecting to
INET[1.2.3.4:443/LOG0/FAULT/mod_cmd.xml?cmd=something] via TCPSSL
HTTP: Regular expression matches

   However, the syntax from the monit manual:

if failed host 1.2.3.4 port 443 type tcpssl protocol http http
headers [Authorization: Basic QWxhZGRpbjpvcGVu] and request
/LOG0/FAULT/mod_cmd.xml?cmd=something with content == 'alarms' then
alert

   results in:

'uri.to.check' failed protocol test [HTTP] at
INET[1.2.3.4:443/LOG0/FAULT/mod_cmd.xml?cmd=something] via TCPSSL --
HTTP error: Server returned status 401

   So:

I can do my connection testing with the "old" syntax, which solves my immediate problem.

   But: how long will that syntax be supported by monit?

And since I get these 401-errors (no 407 errors, there is no proxy inbetween), either my base64 encoding is wrong, or I did some other simple error in my configuration, or both of the syntaxes do not do the same...

   Any help on that point is still appreciated.

Marcus