Re: Monit running start program multiple times

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monit running start program multiple times
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 14:28:36 +0200

Hi,

the start program waits for the program to start (show up in the process
table). If the pidfile based monitoring is used, it depends on the pidfile
content => if pidfile is not updated, Monit won't find the process.

Some process management frameworks (such as Upstart on RHEL 6.x) have problems
if stop is called and before it finished (even when process is stopped
already), start is called - then the pidfile is not created/updated. In such
case it's better to add standalone "restart program" to Monit configuration
(supported since Monit 5.7), which does atomic restart (from Monit point of
view) instead of stop+start.