Error testing process id [xxxxx] -- No such process

From: Anthony Griffiths
Subject: Error testing process id [xxxxx] -- No such process
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 18:01:30 +0100

I have a problem with monit starting a process. The process is called stream, if I do /etc/init.d/stream start in a console the process starts fine, it creates /var/run/stream.pid and /etc/init.d/stream stop works fine too.
In monit.conf I have:
check process stream with pidfile /var/run/stream.pid
       start program = "/etc/init.d/stream start &" with timeout 10 seconds
       stop program = "/etc/init.d/stream stop &&"
but in the monit log all I ever get is:
'stream' Error testing process id [32511] -- No such process
'stream' failed to start
I don't understand why monit won't start the process. The permissions on the file are ok (755) and the file is owned by monit.monit.
One other thing I have noticed that I've been unable to solve, is that monit checks for the process ID immediately after starting it but I'd like it to wait say 5 or even 10 seconds but I don't know how to make monit wait before it check the process ID. I have a feeling the process ID might take a few seconds to be created but monit is checking for it too quickly.