Why this syntax error in control file?

From: John Moore
Subject: Why this syntax error in control file?
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:51:05 +0000

I've installed monit 4.8.1 on a Debian system, from the repository. I
cannot start the daemon, though, because of a reported syntax error in
the control file, which doesn't make any sense to me. I get the
following error:

/etc/monit/monitrc:20: Error: syntax error 'start'

The line in question is this:

set daemon  60  with start delay 240

To my eye, that is perfectly valid syntax according to the
documentation. So what could the problem be? I have uninstalled and
reinstalled monit and the problem remains. The strangest thing is that
monit has in the past run perfectly well with this exact same control
file. I am at a loss to know what the problem now might be, and nay help
would be much appreciated.