Re: monit 5.5 check program

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: monit 5.5 check program
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 07:47:15 +0200

Because Monit runs in cycles, program timeout is more a hint than an absolute
value. The program will be killed if it is still running when Monit does the
check again > 900 seconds later, though it might not be exactly 900 seconds on
the mark. This depends on your poll-cycle length.

During the time when the program stops and Monit collects its status the
program will be in a defunct state, but as soon as Monit collects the status
the program is removed from the process table an no longer in a defunct state.
This, and how Monit checks a program status is described more in detail here
http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#program_status_testing