Re: [Announce] Monit 5.5.1

From: sven falempin
Subject: Re: [Announce] Monit 5.5.1
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 11:54:33 -0400

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Martin Pala <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, everyone!

We have just released Monit 5.5.1 You can download the new release from:

http://mmonit.com/monit/download/

This is just a minor feature and bug fix version we wanted to release before we start on the bigger changes we have planned for Monit, http://mmonit.com/monit/next/

The first thing we'll focus on is to get rid of the current poll-cycle architecture used in Monit now and replace it with a real-time scheduler so checks can truly run on-time with seconds resolution and also in parallel. The current poll-cycle architecture is not bad, it is very solid and "never" fails, but it does limit us from doing calendar or wall-clock time checks as well as monitor child-processes in real-time.

Next, we need a better dependency specification between checks. The current dependency chain works bottom up, but we also need a top-down so we can say, don't run these checks if this one failed.

We also plan to put the source code out on Github or similar over the summer so you can follow along if you want.

Release information:
====================

IMPROVEMENTS:

* Info and debug messages are no longer sent to stderr, only to stdout.
 Thanks to Sergey Kirpitchev for initial patch.

* Improved output from 'check program', If the program returns an error
 message, include only that message in alert $DESCRIPTION so users can
 compose their own alert format. If program provided no output on
 error, use a default message.

* Improved "check system", $HOST can now be used as a service name.
 $HOST will expand to the system hostname. Example: check system $HOST

BUGFIXES:

* Fixed "Unable to read magic" which was reported on first Monit start.

Contact:
========

If you have questions, comments or any other feedback about this release, please reply to this post.

Best regards from the Monit team