Re: can I combine these

From: Callum Macdonald
Subject: Re: can I combine these
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 18:38:14 +0700

On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 11:33 +0000, Nick Upson wrote:
> sorry I didn't go into sufficient detail, I do have exec alerts
> switched off as I don't want them for other areas of the
> configuration, so I have to explicitly define where I do want them

Then I think you want something like this:

check device opt with path /opt
if space usage > 99% then
  exec "/bin/bash -c '/usr/bin/monit stop database'"
  alert "address@hidden" on { exec }

Not 100% on the syntax, but that's the general principle. It will enable
an alert on this specific check for the exec event. As far as I'm aware,
it will be in addition to, not instead of, any global alerts. In other
words, you should get all your usual alerts *plus* exec. But you may
want to check that to be sure.

Depending on how many exec events you're suppressing, it might be easier
to suppress them per service. That's what I do in a couple of cases
where I'm using monit to reduce directory sizes by calling a cleanup
script. I have something like:

check device foo with path /foo/bar
if spaec usage > 90% then
   exec "/foo/bar/cleanup.sh"