FWD: monit 5.4 violating smtp protocol

From: Len Conrad
Subject: FWD: monit 5.4 violating smtp protocol
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:18:59 +0200

From:  "Len Conrad " <address@hidden>
Date:  Wed, 22 Aug 2012 16:34:22 +0200

I have several monit 5.4 with their mailserver set to mx1.domain.com

mx1 runs postfix's postscreen and is dropping the monit smtp clients with

"PREGREET 20 after 0"

that's "after 0 seconds", meaning monit smtp client is connecting to port 23
and immediately starts sending, when it should wait for mx1's SMTP greeting.

That's why the log line is a PREGREET violation.

The "20" means mx1 received 20 characters before mx1 could send its SMTP
greeting.

As a result, we aren't getting monit alerts and will have to whitelist all the
monit IPs so the pregreet filter doesn't drop them.

Len