Re: Monit switches to "not monitored" state occasionally

From: Johannes Bauer
Subject: Re: Monit switches to "not monitored" state occasionally
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 15:34:09 +0100

Hi Martin,

On 13.01.2012 15:01, Martin Pala wrote:

>> Is there any automatic action which would cause monit to put a monitored
>> child into "unmonitored" autonomically? If so, how can this mechanism be
>> disabled?
>
> There are two possible ways how the service can get unmonitored automatically:
>
> 1.) when the "if <x> restarts within <y> cycles then timeout" statement is
> used, the monit will unmonitor the service if this condition matches
>
> 2.) when you use dependency ("depends on <service>") and the parent service
> is stopped/unmonitored (aither via the timeout statement or manually by
> admin) - then the stop/unmonitor action cascades to the child services too.

We're using neither -- the config file I provided is actually *exactly*
what we're using, no more, no less.

> Also Monit <= 5.2.5 *temporarily* displayed "Not monitored" while the service
> restart was pending - the monitoring state returned back to "Monitored" when
> the restart finished … this was fixed in Monit 5.3 as it was confusing and it
> displayes "Monitored" during restart too.
>
> If none of the above cases matches your configuration, the most probable
> cause is, that somebody manually unmonitored/stopped the service via Monit.

The issue is definitely not temporary. Also, when a user unmonitors, I
see in the logs something like:

syslog.1:Jan 13 09:54:10 ccu monit[1399]: unmonitor service 'foobar' on
user request

But the logs just show *nothing*.

Best regards,
Joe