FEATURE REQUEST: "monit reload" mails should be sent to the old e-mail a

From: Marcus Mülbüsch
Subject: FEATURE REQUEST: "monit reload" mails should be sent to the old e-mail address, too
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 13:58:44 +0100

Hello,

when I change alert e-mail addresses in /etc/monitrc and then reload monit all the new addresses get an e-mail; but not the old ones.

Now, one of the features of monit is that it compares checksums of a lot of configuration files; so I will get informed if someone changes those files.

While I realize that someone who gains root-access will have a lot of options to screw the server, and monit is not (per se) an IDS, I would expect that I get a mail when monit is killed.

Unfortunately it is now easiest to change (or remove) alert addresses, issue a reload and then do whatever you want without monit sending a warning e-mail.

It would be a bit more difficult if monit sends the email before re-reading the configuration, so that monit at least tries to inform the former alert message receivers.

Again, it still is possible to circumvent monit alerting you, so monit is not an IDS. Still, it's a small improvement.

Marcus