Re: Couple of quick questions.

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Couple of quick questions.
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:47:48 +0200

On Aug 23, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Gene Ellis wrote:

First Question:
I am using "if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout" to monitor a daemon. I am interpreting this as it will try and restart my daemon once per polling cycle and then timeout if it can't run. If I didn't have this if command, would it simply try and restart it once per polling cycle indefinitely?

Yes - the "if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout" will disable the monitoring of the service in the case that the service was restarted 5 times in 5 consecutive cycles (e.g. the restart doesn't solve the problem).  Without this statement Monit will continue to restart the service.

Second Question:
My server is using CakePHP. Thus when I enable httpd so I can monitor via browser, it cannot get to the address (I am assuming since the cakephp file structure is different). Any suggestions on settings I need to configure so that I can see everything via my browswer? Thank you.

The Monit httpd listens on port 2812 and the access is controlled in the "set httpd" statement via IPaddress and/or username+password. For example if you set the configuration like this:

    set http port 2812 allow monit:monit

you can access the Monit's httpd on http://<monithost>:2812/ and enter the username and password. If you have used "allow" option which restricts the access to certain IP addresses, (such as "allow 127.0.0.1") or set it to listen on specific interface, you'll be able access the httpd only from matching clients.