Re: OpenBSD portable binary (Was Re: Help on building MONIT on Solaris x

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: OpenBSD portable binary (Was Re: Help on building MONIT on Solaris x86-64)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:52:41 +0200

Hmmm, I'm not responsible for the OpenBSD build and I did not knew that OpenBSD
uses an INSANE shared library version scheme. I just assumed that shared
_systems_ library such as libc and libpthread does not change its _major_
version between OS _minor_ versions updates. Apparently it does! This means
that a binary built for OpenBSD 4.7 will not work on OpenBSD 4.8 as you
demonstrated because libc's major version number is bumped and ld require major
version number to match (at least).

Unless there is an easy way around this, it means that we'll just have to
remove binary support of Monit for OpenBSD because we will need to provide
binaries for every minor OpenBSD 4.x release which is way too much work. We
should probably also remove M/Monit support for OpenBSD as well.