Re: OpenBSD portable binary (Was Re: Help on building MONIT on Solaris x

From: TimH
Subject: Re: OpenBSD portable binary (Was Re: Help on building MONIT on Solaris x86-64)
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:24:09 -0700

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:52:41 +0200
Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hmmm, I'm not responsible for the OpenBSD build and I did not knew that
> OpenBSD uses an INSANE shared library version scheme. I just assumed that
> shared _systems_ library such as libc and libpthread does not change its
> _major_ version between OS _minor_ versions updates. Apparently it does! This
> means that a binary built for OpenBSD 4.7 will not work on OpenBSD 4.8 as you
> demonstrated because libc's major version number is bumped and ld require
> major version number to match (at least).
>
> Unless there is an easy way around this, it means that we'll just have to
> remove binary support of Monit for OpenBSD because we will need to provide
> binaries for every minor OpenBSD 4.x release which is way too much work. We
> should probably also remove M/Monit support for OpenBSD as well.

        Every release of OpenBSD is a version bump.  There aren't major
and minor versions.  4.7 is a version.  4.8 is a version.  These aren't
minor versions of the same major version.  Ubuntu appears to be
similar: every 6 months a new version.  As long as Monit compiles
cleanly on OpenBSD (that is, doesn't do anything particularly
Linux-centric) then maintaining a port should be no harder than any
other program.  I'm not saying that it is your responsibility to do so,
however.  Just attempting to keep it compiling cleanly is much
appreciated.

--TimH