Re: mmonit 2.0.3 to 2.3.3 (3rd send, not seen in list traffic)

From: Mike Schmidt
Subject: Re: mmonit 2.0.3 to 2.3.3 (3rd send, not seen in list traffic)
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 13:19:29 -0400

Traffic in one direction is entirely independent of traffic in the other direction. The fact that you can connect to the monit machine has nothing to do with whether it can report or not; once it has reported once, it's registered in m/monit and you can connect to it. As is typical with monitoring systems, m/monit and monit are only as trustworthy as the person using them.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Len Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:

>Having seen this myself in certain cases, if you don't get this m/monit error on every monit client, but only on some, the you have an error in your monit config on these machines. The fact that monit likes it does not mean that m/monit likes it. For example, when I had two group entries in one service entry, m/monit responded exactly this way, even though monit didn't complain., Check the m/monit error log for more details.
>
>Note that m/monit does NOT accept any standard xml, if there is anything in the xml status or event report report that m/monit does not expect, this is what happens.

ok, got this in the mmonit 2.0.3 logs, for several monits that were upgraded yesterday to 5.2.3 or .4

2011-03-26 09:59:37 AssertException: XML parse error -- element <credentials> not allowed inside <server> when processing message posted from monit at host 'a.b.c.d'

however, although mmonit is marking monit hosts "inactive", one can still click on a mmonit host have mmonit show its entire status of monitored items.

I'm still waiting for response from mmonit people how to upgrade mmonit 2.0.3 to 2.3.3

--
Mike SCHMIDT
CTO