Re: Monit newbie with a question...

From: Marcus Mülbüsch, AS-Infodienste GmbH (Systemadministration)
Subject: Re: Monit newbie with a question...
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 13:24:48 +0200

Am 07.10.2010 01:08, schrieb Daniel Waite:

I am testing this setup by making sure both Varnish and Monit are
running, and then issuing "service varnish stop". I expect to get an
e-mail and have Monit attempt to restart Varnish. Neither happen.

I tested again by using the kill command to kill off Varnish's
processes, but I still get no e-mail, and Monit doesn't attempt to
restart Varnish.

That seems strange.

I have seen monit unable to start a program, mostly because the start command was issued too fast, or was simply plan wrong (For example gentoo needs 'start program = "/etc/init.d/apache2 zap start"', because the init scripts refuse to start a process that is already marked as "started"). But I never have seen monit not sending an email.

So let me ask a few basic questions:

- you did remember to issue a "monit reload" after editing the configuration?

- does monit show the process as "running"? Does monit show the process as "not monitored"? Anything else?

- The process really is stopped by killing it? I.e. is it possible that the pid-file you watch is not the one belonging to the process?

- You should try to add a "if changed pid then alert" to the configuration and then restart the process. Check manually that the pidfile really changed. If you then do not get an email, is there then something wrong with your mailer? (That doesn't explain the "does not restart" problem, though.)

Beyond that I'm clueless right now ;)

Marcus