Re: [monit] Process without pidfile - cannot script

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] Process without pidfile - cannot script
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:56:51 +0100

Hi,

yes, monit requires pidfile ... you can still watch the parent process of smbd
childs - the 'totalcpu' and 'totalmem' allows to react to total cpu and memory
usage of all smbd's sub-processes, the 'children' statement allows to check
sub-processes count.

Example:

check process smbd with pidfile /opt/samba/var/locks/smbd.pid
   start program = "/etc/init.d/smbd start"
   stop  program = "/etc/init.d/smbd stop"
   if failed host 192.168.1.1 port 139 type TCP  then restart
   if totalcpu > 80% for 5 cycles then restart
   if totalmem > 500 MB then restart
   if children > 50 then restart