[monit] Can't use monit shell if ssl is enabled in httpd

From: Brad Gessler
Subject: [monit] Can't use monit shell if ssl is enabled in httpd
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:48:45 -0500

I've run into problem though that I can't seem to find an answer to in the monit docs. First, my httpd configuration:

 set httpd port 2002
         allow crypt /etc/monit/htpasswd
         use ssl
         pemfile /etc/monit/certs/monit.pem

I can successfully use monit my web browser but when I get the following when I try to ping monit through the shell:

 ~# monit status
 monit: cannot read status from the monit daemon

If I disable ssl everything works great from the shell, but I really need that https to protect authentication over the wire. Does monit simply not work from the shell if ssl is turned on?

Thanks!

Brad