[monit] Character Limit in Start | Stop Program Directive?

From: Christopher Opena
Subject: [monit] Character Limit in Start | Stop Program Directive?
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:50:21 -0700

Hello all, I've been doing some fairly intensive testing of using monit to test out multiple applications on my server.  Each of the specific services I'm monitoring uses a "/bin/bash -c '/path/to/script -d'" as the Start execution.  I've noticed in testing that when I stop one of the services, it starts up automatically.  The other one doesn't.  The monit log shows it attempting to start the service, but it fails.  I've double- and triple-checked the Start directive to make sure that I didn't make any syntax errors, and even copied the contents of the failing Start directive out into my bash session (that works fine).  The only difference I can see is that the path to the failing script is very long.

Is there a character limit of some kind on the Start directive that I'm not aware of?  I tried checking the Monit manual and it doesn't mention any character limit of any kind.  Below I'm pasting the contents of the two Start scripts (with directories in Xs just so you can see the script length without revealing too much).

--Successful Script--
start program = "/bin/bash -c 'cd /xxx/xxxxx/xxx/xxxxxxx; LOCAL_VAR=xxxxxxxxxx /xxx/xxxxx/xxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxx start -d'" as uid my__uid and gid my__gid with timeout 60 seconds

--Failing Script--
start program = "/bin/bash -c 'cd /xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx; LOCAL_VAR=xxxxxxxxxx /xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxx/xxx start -d'" as uid my__uid and gid my__gid with timeout 60 seconds

I've also checked to make sure that directory ownership was the same on the two different log directories that the scripts write to - no problems there.  I'm quite at my wits end to determine why one works and the other one doesn't - and they starting the exact same script for different apps on the same server!  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris.