Re: [monit] Did you start it with http support

From: Jovan Kostovski
Subject: Re: [monit] Did you start it with http support
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:16:53 +0200

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Jovan Kostovski <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:42 PM, subrata majumder <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I am running monit daemon with http support enable.
>> I have stoped http server from monit web browser.
>> Now monit client can not connect to monit daemon.
>> If I use "monit stop <process-name>"  I get following error "Did you start
>> it with http support?" .
>> It seems monit client talk with monit daemon only through http service.
>>
>> Is there any other communication channel between monit client and monit
>> daemon beside http ? Even after http support disabled monit client can talk
>> with monit daemon.
>
> you can always use ssh to connect to the server and then monit
> start/stop process_name ;)

sorry miss reading the mail :(

How did you manage to shutdown the build in web server?

Here is a small excerpt from the user guide:
"For instance, you must start a monit daemon with http support if you
want to be able to use most of the available console commands. I.e.
'monit stop all', 'monit start all' etc.
If a monit daemon is running in the background we will ask the daemon
(via the HTTP protocol) to execute the above commands. That is, the
daemon is requested to start and stop the services. This ensures that
a daemon will not restart a service that you requested to stop and
that (any) timeout lock will be removed from a service when you start
it."

>From what is written it is clear that you must run the build in web
server in order to execute commands.

Why do you need other communication channels?
If you don't want to expose the port on which monit listens the
request you can block it with firewall and
you can ssh to the server and execute the commands with the client
from the command line.

BR, Jovan