Re: [monit] Monitoring processes without a pidfile

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: Re: [monit] Monitoring processes without a pidfile
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 13:25:10 -0400

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Brian Downey <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Daniel Clark wrote:
>> I've thought of wrapping the daemon in a shell script or something,
>> but that wouldn't work out with logrotate et all doing a "kill -HUP"
>> of the process (one could of course make that use the wrapper as well,
>> but then things start to seem really kludgey).
>
> Our approach was to simply use monit to handle everything.  In your
> postrotate you'd put "monit restart <process>" instead of the kill.

That sounds cleaner than the way I was thinking of doing it, but there
is still the issue of the non-clued-in/forgetful sys admin who expects
"kill -HUP" to work as it normally would and not break things from a
random script / interactive shell session / etc.

I've asked the author of the program in question, logpp [1], to add a
"-p PIDFILE" option, so hopefully my problem will be solved cleanly
via that route :-)

[1] LogPP - Log PreProcessor
http://logpp.sourceforge.net/