Re: [monit] monit alert specified address

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] monit alert specified address
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:18:49 +0200

On Jul 8, 2008, at 12:43 PM, Emil Natan wrote:

Hi list,

I have the following configuration.

set alert address@hidden

check device boot-partition with path /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
       if space usage > 80% then alert
alert address@hidden

The problem is that when the space usage is over 80%, I get 2 e- mails, one for address@hidden and one for address@hidden What I expected and I what I wanted to do is to receive alert only on address@hidden

The "set alert ..." statement sets the alert for all services. You can either disable the alert locally in "boot-partition" service using "noalert" statement or optional alert filter ... see monit manual for more details:
http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/manual.php#alert_messages

example syntax:

--8<--
set alert address@hidden

check device boot-partition with path /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
  if space usage > 80% then alert
  alert address@hidden
  noalert address@hidden
--8<--

It seems I miss something, so any help will be appreciated.
In addition is the following scenario possible:

check device boot-partition with path /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
       if space usage > 80% then alert address@hidden
       if space usage > 95 then alert address@hidden

I know the syntax is not correct, but it just shows what I try to achieve.

Currently the testing statement cannot set the target directly based on error level. You can use two check statements as workaround:

--8<--
check device boot-partition-warn with path /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
  if space usage > 80% then alert
  alert address@hidden

check device boot-partition-err with path /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
  if space usage > 95% then alert
  alert address@hidden
--8<--