Re: [monit] Monit: Testing Alert path

From: Dave Paper
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit: Testing Alert path
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:25:26 -0400

On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:47 AM, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:

On Jul 3, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Dave Paper wrote:

I'd like to be able to exercise the alert e-mail function ad hoc, not just when a trigger is fired off in a monit job config.

I'm a relative neophyte here, so this might be wrong, but how about just adding a stanza that tests for the presence of a test file. Then your command line trigger is "rm testfile". Would that work for you?

That's essentially what I'm doing now.

However, it's kind of dirty (having an extra job running just for that), and I'm looking at putting together some sort of automation testing/verification that alert messages are able to get through. Using something to externally test the alert system once per day and if no alert arrives, then something in the alert path is broken.

-dave

--
"The only contributions France has given to popular culture in the
last 50 years is Gerard Depardieu and that horny skunk." --SNL