[monit] what does the "connection passed to INET" message mean?

From: Michael Stillwell
Subject: [monit] what does the "connection passed to INET" message mean?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:10:29 +1100

I'm having trouble figuring out how to interpret various monit messages. One I get quite frequently is:

'apache2' connection passed to INET[dev.beebo.org:80] via TCP

What does this mean?  What does INET have to do with anything?

Does "passed" mean "succeeded" or "handed to"? I get both "connection passed" and "connection failed" messages, so my first guess would be that "passed" means "succeeded", but since it's used as a verb ("passed to") the second interpretation also seems possible.

Thanks,
Michael