Re: [monit] monit on freebsd

From: Francois
Subject: Re: [monit] monit on freebsd
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 22:46:40 -0700

Thanks for your suggestion Jan-Henrik. I switched the order of the entries
in /etc/hosts and that seems to do the trick. The ferret server now binds to the
first entry (the ipv4 version) and thus monit is able to do the monitoring.

I checked with my hosting company and they agreed  that I could also remove
the ::1 entry without any problems.

Are there any plans to perhaps have a forum related to monit instead of just the mailing list?  It would be great to have a forum where users could share successful recipes for monitoring various difference services. There are some great examples on the site already at http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/examples.php but a forum could foster more of that. Just a thought.

- thanks again
Francois

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:40 PM, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:

On 15. mars. 2008, at 02.24, Francois wrote:

> The hosts file on all my freebsd systems looks like this:
>
> ::1                      localhost
> 127.0.0.1            localhost
>
> I just tried removing the first entry. After doing so I still cannot
> connect to the relevant port on 127.0.0.1. However, if I then
> stopped and restarted the ferret server I was then able to connect
> to the relevant port on 127.0.0.1.
>  So it seems that if that ::1 entry is present in /etc/hosts the
> ferret server will somehow bind to that instead of 127.0.0.1
>  But before I permanently remove that ::1 entry I'll have to see if
> I can learn more about it to ensure that removing it doesn't cause
> any unwanted side effects.

The ferret server seems to be using IPv6 when available, while monit
only supports Ipv4. You could try to change the order in /etc/hosts so

127.0.0.1            localhost

comes before

::1                      localhost

Its a long shoot, if this does not help and you want to use IPv6 for
the loopback device, try to configure the ferret server to use both IP-
versions. Though removing ::1 and using Ipv4 for 127.0.0.1 only should
not have side effects as servers speaking IPv6 also supports IPv4
(usually).