Re: [monit] Monit HTTP blank screen

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: [monit] Monit HTTP blank screen
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:54:20 +0100

The config file is okay. You have a network problem and here are a few things you should check.

1) Make sure that you connect to monit from one of the servers you have listed in the allow list. If not, monit will just shut down the connection. That is, you need to connect to monit from either 127.0.0.1 or 216.154.215.104.

2) Make sure that you specify the port number in the URL. That is,
http://216.154.215.104:1533/

3) Make sure that you do not have a firewall on 216.154.215.104 blocking connections to port 1533
from the machine you are trying connecting from

4) From 216.154.215.104 you could try this console command and see if you can connect at all. You should see something like this.

# telnet 216.154.215.104 1533
Trying 216.154.215.104...
Connected to 216.154.215.104.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 401 Unauthorized

NB: I STRONGLY recommend that you bind the monit http server to localhost only, since the machine 216.154.215.104 is reachable over the internet or at least make sure that you have a firewall blocking all connections to port 1533, except for your own machines that need to connect to monit. Particularly since you posted your configuration and credentials. Its relatively easy to spoof the IP address, and if the username and password is admin:monit you need to do this now.