[monit] Monitoring a process without automatically starting it

From: Mikael Auno
Subject: [monit] Monitoring a process without automatically starting it
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 03:44:36 +0100

Hi. Is there a way to monitor a process without automatically starting
it if it is not already started, but still define start and stop program
so that it can be restarted if it does not respond?

What I am trying to do is to have one apache process depend on several
mongrel processes. We need to restart the processes periodically (to get
new kerberos tickets and AFS tokens). This is done by first stoping
apache, restarting the mongrel processes and then starting apache again.
This process takes about 30 seconds so it is quite possible that monit
will check to see if the processes are running in the middle of the
restart process. If I am not mistaken, monit will start these processes
if they are not already running even if they are in the process of being
restarted, and it is that that I want to prevent. Is it possible to
prevent this but still be able to, for example, restart apache if it is
alive but not responding?

// Mikael