Re: [monit] monitoring nfs mounts

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: [monit] monitoring nfs mounts
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 23:15:33 +0100

Monit does restart action - this will call stop->start. The stop method allows to cleanup the environment after the process crashed, which may be necessary in some cases.

When monit calls start method, it checks whether the process is running. In your case the start script in "stop program" started the service already. When the "start program" was called, it checked whether the process is running and since it was running, the start method retuned as there was no action needed.

The web interface allows manual control for the services - the user is responsible for his own action (if you request monit to call just "start" method, it will do it). The restart is monit's reaction to given event (process disappeared) which consists of stop&start.

Martin