[monit] monitor mythfrontend

From: Jay Cornell
Subject: [monit] monitor mythfrontend
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 17:29:06 -0500

Hello. I have just recently started using monit. I have set up processes to monitor the mythbackend and disk space and it is working great. Very cool thank you. I am now trying to monitor the mythfrontend to ensure it is always running on a dedicated frontend client. I am having a problem with permissions or the environment initialization or my weak scripting skills.

Currently the monit started mythfrontend cannot access the sound. If i change the permission of /dev/dsp to allow other users to r/w, it works. I would rather be able to define the user and allow the existing permissions which only allow user and group r/w. Here's my monitrc and the wrapper script i wrote to launch the mythfrontend. I have been experimenting with uid and gid, but I don't seem to be getting the same groups that the userid gets during normal login.

## monitrc
check process mythfrontend with pidfile /tmp/mfwrapper.pid
   start program = "/home/jay/bin/mfwrapper start" as uid jay gid mythtv
   stop  program = "/home/jay/bin/mfwrapper stop" as uid jay gid mythtv
   if failed host jvo port 6546
       expect "MythFrontend Network Control\r\n"
   then    start

## mfwrapper
#!/bin/bash --login
LOG=/tmp/mfwrapper.log
PROG=/usr/bin/mythfrontend
PID=/tmp/mfwrapper.pid
export DISPLAY=:0.0
export XAUTHORITY=/home/jay/.Xauthority
export HOME=/home/jay
env >> $LOG
case $1 in
   start)
       echo $$ > $PID;
       exec 2>>$LOG $PROG 1>>$LOG;;
stop) kill `cat $PID` ;; *) echo "usage: mfwrapper {start|stop}" ;;
   esac