Re: [monit] Question about multi-host testing

From: Pablo Iranzo Gómez
Subject: Re: [monit] Question about multi-host testing
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 08:57:32 +0100

        Martin,

        I've did this one before writing to the list, but failed, so that was
the reason:

check host ro5000-gkgRn17229AEBsh17232 with address 10.39.16.1
        if failed ICMP type ECHO count 1 timeout 10 seconds then alert
        alert address@hidden with reminder on 1 cycle

check host pos10.5000-gkgRn17229AEBsh17232 with address 10.39.16.10
        if failed ICMP type ECHO count 1 timeout 10 seconds then alert
        depends on ro5000-gkgRn17229AEBsh17232
        alert address@hidden with reminder on 1 cycle

        The "gkgRn17229AEBsh17232" is just to ensure that there are no service
name duplicates, what I'm getting is two email alerts

        If I just put "if failed icmp then alert" monit complains about
configuration (I'm using monit-4.9-1), so either I'm doing something
wrong or it's a problem with this verson.

        Thanks in advance
        Pablo

El vie, 26-10-2007 a las 23:08 +0200, Martin Pala escribió:
> The icmp test is part of host check only. If you want to check more
> hosts, you thus need to specify one "check host" per each host and use
> dependency to set the relationship. Example:
>
> --8<--
> check yourswitch with address 10.10.10.2
>    if failed icmp then alert
>
> check yourneighbour with address 10.10.10.10
>    if failed icmp then alert
>    depends on yourswitch
>
> check yourrouter with address 10.10.10.1
>    if failed icmp then alert
>    depends on yourswitch
>
> check remoterouter with address 192.168.1.1
>    if failed icmp then alert
>    depends on yourswitch
>    depends on yourrouter
>
> check remoteswitch with address 192.168.1.2
>    if failed icmp then alert
>    depends on yourswitch
>    depends on yourrouter
>    depends on remoterouter
>
> check remotehost with address 192.168.1.10
>    if failed icmp then alert
>    depends on yourswitch
>    depends on yourrouter
>    depends on remoterouter
>    depends on remoteswitch
> --8<--
>
> Monit currently supports soft dependency, which provides correct
> sequence ... the hard dependency support is planned:
>
> http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php#27
>

> Martin
>

> Pablo Iranzo Gómez wrote:
> >     Hi
> >     I would like to do a chain-testing for connectivity using the ICMP
> > test, for example:
> >
> >     If you have this network layout:
> >
> >     Your computer -> a computer in your same switch -> the switch -> router
> > -> remote router -> remote switch -> remote computer
> >

> >     It doesn't make sense to report a connectivity problem with remote
> > computer, if every step in the chain could fail, so to correclty
> > determine the problem you would need something like:
> >
> >     Chech host remotecomputer with address 10.10.10.10
> >       if passed host yourneighbour then
> >         if passed host yourswitch then
> >           if passed host your router then
> >             if passed host remoterouter then
> >               if passed host remoteswitch then
> >                  if failed host remotecomputer then alert
> >
> >     But afaik, ICMP doesn't accept specifying "host", as it is supposed to
> > be inside a check host sentence... otherwise, using "depends" just works
> > for starting/stoping services, not for chain-dependencing failures (like
> > first check if you can ping your router before claiming host being down)
> >
> >     ¿There's anything that I could have not considered in order to archieve
> > this?
> >
> >     Regards
> >     Pablo

Pablo Iranzo Gómez (address@hidden)
RHCE/Global Profesional Services Consultant Spain
Phone: +34 645 01 01 49 (CET/CEST)
GnuPG KeyID: 0xFAD3CF0D

--
Inscrita en el Reg. Mercantil de Madrid – C.I.F. B-82 65 79 41
Directores: Michael Cunningham, Charlie Peters y David Owens