Re: set up monin and mydns dns-server

From: Samuel Vogel
Subject: Re: set up monin and mydns dns-server
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 18:34:46 +0200

I tried to not specify the protocol, but it doesn't work.
MyDNS stops answering queries, but monit doesn't notice that!
This is how my config file looks:

# cat /etc/monit/monitrc
set daemon 20
set logfile syslog facility log_daemon

check process mydns with pidfile /var/run/mydns.pid
       start program = "/etc/init.d/mydns start"
       stop program = "/etc/init.d/mydns stop"
       if failed port 53 type udp then restart
       if failed port 53 type tcp then restart
       if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

Maybe the problem is, that mydns is still running, but just stops answering queries since of an unresolved bug!

Regards,
Samy

Martin Pala schrieb:
This could be good to add. I think it can take ca. 4-8 hours. Patches are welcomed ;)

As workaround for such DNS servers it is possible to use generic tcp/udp checks (don't specify the 'protocol' option).

Martin