Re: Can I use dollar sign in paths in monit config file?

From: Sergio Trejo
Subject: Re: Can I use dollar sign in paths in monit config file?
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 01:42:27 -1000

On 6/20/07, Aleksander Kamenik <address@hidden> wrote:
Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> On 21. jun. 2007, at 08.45, Sergio Trejo wrote:
>
>> Thanks for clarifying this. I can write a simple Ruby script to
>> pre-process quite easy.
>
> begin
>   ruby mumbo jumbo
> rescue me
>   exec "/usr/bin/perl -e 'print(q(perl is the answer! what was the
> question?);"
> end

Actually one only needs one sed command, no scripting:

sed -i s/"\$HOME"/"\/path\/to\/home"/g monitrc

Thank you for the pointer to sed. Its sometimes easy to forget how many powerful UNIX built-ins already exist for such simple use. Like learning a new spoken language, it takes some getting used to regarding the syntax of UNIX commands like sed.

-Serg

--
Aleksander Kamenik
system administrator