state diagram and recap of my issues/solutions

From: andrew.taylor
Subject: state diagram and recap of my issues/solutions
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 15:39:32 -0500

Is there a state diagram for monit anywhere, something that shows the states, transitions, causes (ie running, not monitored, does not exist, initializing, etc). One of my issues was not knowing what these things truly meant, and when transitions happened...

like a service being in "does not exist" state, when I can do a ps -ef and clearly see it there ? Oh, it just means that a cycle has not come around to check again ?

I think I finally have my monit stuff all running ... just to recap my issues ...

I am running Ubuntu Feisty Fawn.

- monit version
- sudo apt-get install -y monit
- sudo /usr/sbin/monit -V
This is monit version 4.8.1
Copyright (C) 2000-2006 by the monit project group. All Rights Reserved.

- monit really only seemed to like starting processes that were "daemon ready", ie something start or something start
- so I wrapped my ruby bits as daemons
- sudo gem install daemons
- http://daemons.rubyforge.org/
- this took a while to get right
- note, I did not go back and try this again once updating to monit 4.9

- numerous issues where I got bit by unix/windows line endings, uggg
- sudo apt-get install -y flip
- flip -u offending file

- randomly going into "does not exist" state
- processes taking too long to start
- added "every N cycles" to config for those processes

- still going into this state
- beating my head against the wall
- upgrade to 4.9
- ./configure requires --without-ssl
- needed flex and bison
- sudo apt-get install -y flex
- sudo apt-get install -y bison
- ugg, make install puts things in different places, like /usr/local/bin/monit, where as debian install puts it in /usr/sbin/monit
- edit /etc/rc2.d/S99monit to fix the paths
- hmm, when using 4.9, the issues I mentioned above with "does not exist" state stops happening, great