Re: Wrong Display of System CPU Usage

From: Matt Corks
Subject: Re: Wrong Display of System CPU Usage
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:08:14 -0500

Ah, that makes sense.  This also explains why I haven't been able to
reproduce this error since rebooting recently.  Many thanks, Ron and
Martin.

 -- matt

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 05:14:20PM +0100, Martin Pala wrote:
>Thanks for the patch :)
>
>It was added to cvs ... Matt's and Alex's problem regarding linux cpu
>usage statistics should be solved.
>

>Martin
>

>Ron Avriel wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>On one of my Linux systems monit erroneously reports the system CPU
>>usage as ?82.6%us, 0.0%sy, 17.3%wa?, while the system is almost
>>completely idle.
>>
>>I traced down the problem to /proc/stat reporting CPU times larger than
>>LONG_MAX, while the code assumes they?re (signed) long.
>>
>>In function used_system_cpu_sysdep() in file process/sysdep_LINUX.c in ,
>>changing all ?long? variables to ?unsigned long long? and changing
>>sscanf %ld to %llu fixed the problem.
>>
>>BTW, the CPU times monit reads are the sum of all CPUs times, so for a
>>four CPU system the problem occurs after 124 days.
>>

>>Thanks for great product,
>>Ron

address@hidden | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
Calvin: I think life should be more like TV. I think all of life's
  problems ought to be solved in 30 minutes with simple homilies, don't
  you? I think weight and oral hygiene ought to be our biggest concerns.
  I think we should all have powerful, high-paying jobs, and everyone
  should drive fancy sports cars. All our desires should be instantly
  gratified. Women should always wear tight clothes, and men should
  carry powerful handguns. Life overall should be more glamorous,
  thrill-packed, and filled with applause, don't you think?