Re: Silent stderr patch

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Silent stderr patch
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 00:24:20 +0200

On 26. sep. 2006, at 21.31, Christopher P. Lindsey wrote:

Yesterday we had a problem with a networked filesystem going down, killing
lots of different servers on various systems.  I wanted to log in via
the serial console to make system changes, but monit kept failing to start processes and was writing tons of stuff to stderr. This meant that the console was bogged down with noise and clutter, making simple shell commands
difficult and a vi session nearly impossible.

Ouch, I hate it when that happen.

"Wouldn't it be great," I thought while rapidly hitting CTRL-L as
/etc/inittab started to resemble a screenshot from The Matrix, "if there
was a monit directive to disable stderr output?"

Thus, a patch was born.  Included below is some code that adds a
'nostderr' directive.  If enabled in /etc/monitrc like

   set nostderr

monit will no longer produce copious quantities of console clutter.

Looks like a useful patch, what do others think? Another alternative is of course to start monit with 2>/dev/null. Using "set nostderr" is better though.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255