Re: custom mysql monitoring

From: Paul Monaghan
Subject: Re: custom mysql monitoring
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 23:15:12 -0400

Vincent Rivellino wrote:

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I haven't found anything
regarding it in the monit docs or in the list archives.

I'd like to setup a few monit checks to verify the function of our mysql
database.  These checks will require connecting to the database and
performing a few queries.

Does monit support directing connecting to mysql and performing queries?
If not, does it support executing an external application to perform
actions and have the check fail based on the return code?
Believe it or not, and I'm sure the monit developers aren't going to believe this, but YES IT DOES! Sort of. ;)

You can fake this ability by using monit to connect to a web server which queries the database. For example on my website I have monit grab a nice big HTTP GET of a PHP script. In case PHP crashes (FastCGI under Zeus) I'll get a "Bad Gateway" error from Zeus, if monit ever gets this HTTP error it will restart Zeus which in turn restarts PHP. There is no reason you couldn't build your SQL test queries in PHP and have monit use the HTTP test, if you can't connect to the database return a "500 internal server error" or something. Just change your stop and start program to be you init script for mysql.

check process mysql with pidfile /usr/local/zeus/web/internal/pid
       group web
       start program = "/etc/init.d/mysql start"
       stop program = "/etc/init.d/mysql stop"
if failed URL http://www.somc.on.ca:80/mysqltest.php?query=1 then restart
       if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout
Where "query=1" would be a predefined query in your mysqltest.php script. If you can CGI/PHP/Perl it and serve it from a web server monit can check it. :)

The only draw back to this would be the reliability of the web server in front of the database testing this but there is no reason why the above wouldn't work since monit's HTTP checks are far more complete than the MySQL checks.

Regards,

Paul