monitrc file & remote monitoring questions

From: Ken A
Subject: monitrc file & remote monitoring questions
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:50:18 -0800

Hi,

I'm a new monit user, and have a couple questions.

Is there any way to define a variable in the monitrc file?
I'd like to be able to do this:
set ServerName1 = "P7"
set MySQLText = "MySQL down"
And then use it in monitrc to simplify redundant configurations such as mail-format settings for text pagers:
alert textpager with mail-format{subject:"$ServerName1:$MySQLText"}
The default notices are too long for my pager.

I'm using monit to watch file checksums and timestames - where files are written by a cgi that accepts reports from remote machines. An unchanged checksum means that the remote service is working okay. This allows me to monitor remote services that otherwise couldn't be monitored using monit. I find myself changing the code of cervlet.c and cervlet.h to display these items in a more meaningful way. This is a lightweight solution, and doesn't require me to install monit on 20 machines. I know this isn't monit's focus, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a reasonable addition to the system? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ken A
Pacific.Net