Re: 4.7-beta1: monit <command> <service> does not work

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: 4.7-beta1: monit <command> <service> does not work
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:45:33 +0100

On 20. des. 2005, at 11.25, metaworx lists wrote:
*

Thanks for the trace and valgrind output. I could not see anything directly wrong, but I'm pretty sure what the problem is now.

========> here i called sudo monit -Iv stop vs5_dbhost

I think this may be the problem; when you call stop on a program, the monit damon thread which runs the http server will stop handling new incoming calls until the program is actually stopped. (The socket connection from the monit client is accepted by the kernel so this works, but it is ignored by the monit server). This problem is most notable when the program to be stopped takes a long time to stop. This is an old problem, not particular to the new beta. We do plan to fix this, see http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php#23

To test if this is the case, instead of stop try this

1) start monit in debug mode, monit -Iv
2) toggle unmonitor and monitor on vs5_dbhost by, monit -v unmonitor vs5_dbhost and monit -v monitor vs5_dbhost
3) Do you see this in the console:
        Monitoring disabled -- service vs5_dbhost
        Monitoring enabled -- service vs5_dbhost
4) If yes, then your problem is connected to the stop "design bug" explained above.
5) If no, let us know.

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255