Re: Configuring monit to call an external program (EXEC) as well as r es

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Configuring monit to call an external program (EXEC) as well as r estart etc
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:03:26 +0100

On Feb 16, 2005, at 16:46, Tom O'Brien wrote:

Hi all:
Still battling this issue. My latest problem is that I assumed that I could
write a construct like:

    if 10 restarts within 10 cycles then exec "...some command..."

However, when I try this, and check syntax (with -t option of monit), it
complains about exec.

Is it true that only a "timeout" action is allowed in this construct?

Unfortunately, yes. The timeout statement was one of the first statements added in monit and it has been left that way. When we get around to implement this feature; http://www.tildeslash.com/monit/doc/next.php#20 we can drop the timeout statement altogether since it will be redundant and can be replaced with a "if X restart within Y cycles then unmonitor". Until that day I'm afraid you will have to live with this inconsistency.

On a general note, we are few in the project and we may not always have time to follow up on every good suggestion. Therefor suggestions backed up by a patch or backed up with a patch later is always very welcome :-)

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Mobil +47 97141255