Re: Apache, rotatelogs & chroot environment

From: David Fletcher
Subject: Re: Apache, rotatelogs & chroot environment
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:21:21 +0000

Hi,

Thanks Marco for your reply about logrotate.

I think you are right that logrotate would offer a solution to the failure
of a piped logging process, because (I think) it allows Apache to log to a
file, and then simply re-starts Apache to change the file.

I was using rotatelogs as an example of a piped logging process,
because everyone knows what it does. However, my piped logging process is
actually logging to MySQL, using a program similar to the project at

http://logtomysql.sourceforge.net/

It is recording in real time the data transfered from the server for each
user, to ensure data transfer limits are not exceeded.

I think the Monit solution will work, but in the long term I will look for
alternative solutions, possibly using mod_log_mysql (when available for
Apache2) or some other solution.

Thanks for your ideas,

David.

Email: address@hidden