Re: Multiple processes have same name

From: Jan-Henrik Haukeland
Subject: Re: Multiple processes have same name
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:30:45 +0200

"Christopher P. Lindsey" <address@hidden> writes:

> This reminds me...  Are there any plans to re-allow '/' as the first
> character in a process name for filesystem checking?
>
> For example:
>
>    check device /var with path /dev/hda6
>       if space usage > 90% then alert
>       alert address@hidden
>
> isn't allowed right now.  Sure, the / can be removed or a period can be
> prepended, but having a fully-qualifed path in the alert just seems right.

The main reason a service name cannot start with / is because the name
is used directly in the URL in monit's web interface. E.g. if you have
/dev/hda7 as a service name the url would be http://dev/hda7 and not
http://localhost:2812/dev/hda7, because we use relative URLs for
convinience. There are ways to work around this, for instance use
/dev/hda7 as a display name and http://localhost:2812/dev/hda7 in the
HTML source code, as in this example

However to change the code to allow service names such as /dev/hda7 is
not trivial because it affects other parts of the code as well. That
doesn't mean that it's not possible though. We can put it up on our
TODO list if others agree?

--
Jan-Henrik Haukeland