Multiple processes have same name

From: Jon Evans
Subject: Multiple processes have same name
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 17:12:26 +0100

Hi,

We have a server that runs four instances of tomcat for four different customers. They all use the same copy of the tomcat distribution, but by specifying $CATALINA_BASE in their individual startup scripts they all have their own directory containing their config file, webapp dir, temp dir, pid file etc.

Now, the problem is that they all have the same process name - "java". I would like to test all four services, maybe with something like this:

check process java named "Customer 1 tomcat server" with pidfile "/opt/customers/1/logs/catalina.pid"
        start = "/etc/init.d/tomcat.customer1 start"
        stop = "/etc/init.d/tomcat.customer1 stop"
        if failed port 8080 and protocol http
                and request "/test.jsp" then restart
        alert address@hidden

etc.

That way they would also show up in the admin web pages with more readable names - in this case "Customer 1 tomcat server" - so service status could also be checked and understood by someone who doesn't necessarily understand the technical details of our tomcat installation.

Is this possible to do already?

I did check the FAQ and the list archive before posting - I didn't find anything that looked relevant.

Thanks in advance,

Jon