Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!

From: Jeremy Henty
Subject: Please help: monit alerts make qmail complain!
Date: 21 Jan 2003 16:54:05 +0000

Hi,

I am setting up monit for the first time to monitor AOLserver.  ATM, I am
running it in
passive mode just to see what it does and does not notice.  As a test I set the
host to
a bogus IP, and monit logs these lines:

[GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] 'nsd' timed out when testing INET[192.168.1.45:80] [HTTP]
[GMT Jan 21 16:40:31] Sendmail error: 451 See
http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.

The URL is a qmail page complaining that monit is sending email messages that
are not
properly line-terminated.  I looked at sendmail.c and AFAICT this message has
to come
from a call to do_status() from inside sendmail().  But sendmail() seems to
properly
terminate all of its lines, so I am bewildered as to why qmail is complaining.
Any
ideas for tracking this one down?

Incidentally, when the server process actually died monit delivered a message
without
any complaints from qmail!  Curiouser and curiouser!

I googled for monit+qmail and searched the list archives for qmail but found
nothing
helpful.

/etc/monitrc is:

set daemon 60
set logfile /var/log/monit

check nsd with pidfile /data/users/aol30/log/nspid.nec
   mode passive
   host 192.168.1.45 port 80 protocol http
   alert address@hidden

All suggestions gratefully received,