Re: [Mldonkey-users] Not connecting to BitTorrent servers

From: mldonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Not connecting to BitTorrent servers
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:15:38 +0200

Murphy wrote:
I am using mlnet 2.5-16 but I dont ever get connected
to BiTorrent servers (no BT servers show up in the
Servers tab when I enable BT netowrk)

Hehe, that's because there ARE no servers in the BitTorrent network. :-))

I am behind a firewall (masquerading) and mlnet works
fine for EDonkey/Fasttrack etc.

By the way if I copy a .torrent link (say from
http://rd.mailshell.com/www.suprnova.org/) the BT file downlaod gets
started and the speed is also good.

Can anybody give any clues?

Bittorrent has something similar to a server (they call it 'tracker' for whatever reason), but this is only good for managing the sources for a known file, not for locating available files. In the edonkey network, servers accomplish both of these functions and you need a server list for it to work. In BitTorrent, the server ('tracker') for a given file is specified in the ".torrent"-file for the file you want to download (the one from the link you mention above).

one more question: some day back I tried mlnet 2.5-17
and lost all of my dowloaded chunks...it got recovered
but not all. Shall I try 2.5-21? Any comments from
your experince?

Maybe you should start a seperate thread for each topic.

Bye,
phoenix