[Mldonkey-users] Re: >2GB Bug again?

From: Robin Hill
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: >2GB Bug again?
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:44:51 +0000

On Tue Nov 25, 2003 at 11:14:54AM +0100, Loon, O.P. van <address@hidden> wrote:
<- Top posting moved below ->

>> well if i'm not mistaking that's how the windows version of bittorrent
>> works..
>>
>> it will not create a single temp file but will directly create all the files
>> contained in the torrent your are starting to download.. the files
>> information being described in the seed file you can easily do that..
>> that way all 2G+ downloads having multiple archive files in it would never
>> make any 2G+ prob..
>>
>> and that would also solve a "problem" i had with mld bittorrent downloads
>> which is you need twice the download size of free space on your hd, one time
>> for the temp file, one time for the extracted files once the download is
>> finished.. it's not that bad when you download cd size archives but when you
>> go over 2G it's quite annoying..
>>

> What's the reason for MLdonkey to copy the temporary file to the
> finished one when committing? Why isn't it moved to the commit
> location and renamed? That way we do not need twice the HD space and
> the committing will take a lot less time.

You misunderstand - with single files that is exactly what happens, but
the problem is that BT downloads can be an entire directory of files, in
which case mldonkey downloads it as a single file, then splits it into
the separate files on commit.  This means it needs space for both the
complete torrent and for the extracted contents (and also causes the
mentioned unnecessary problems with >2GB files).

Cheers,
        Robin
--
     ___