Re: [Mldonkey-users] How to share some files

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] How to share some files
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:02:34 +0100

Dr Aldo Medina wrote the following on 11/12/2003 09:50 AM :

We want to interchange some Linux ISO's (specifically Fedora and
OpenOffice 1.1) between a somewhat large distant user group. So maybe
mldonkey could serve to this (either via edonkey or someother protocol?)

How can we share our ISO's?. Is is just a matter of moving them to some
shared directory, or should we do something else to "index" them or get
some kind of MD5?

This is doable but not really easy :

Put the files in a directory shared by mldonkey.
Run ed2k_hash (mldonkey sources, make ed2k_hash) on the files you want to distribute and publish the ed2k URLs (publish on a web site, send via e-mail...). Have all people join one common server and configure mldonkey on each party to always being connected to this server. <- this is not easy... They can then add the URLs to their download list (they might search the ed2k network too, but might find several similar files, using the hashes is more foolproof).

If you don't want a full time distributed repository on ed2k network but a fast push method from single points of distribution, you should use Bittorrent. Nothing comes near this protocol's file spreading abilities (Fedora is already distributed by torrents BTW and this is the mean by which I saturated my office 1024kbp/s ADSL). mldonkey can be used to download torrents (although it's less efficient than the original client). Search google for help on setting up a torrent.

By the way, if we delete a file from this shared directory, does
mldonkey autodetect this and erase the file from its uploadable list?,

Yes. Not right away but shortly after.

or should we do something after deleting the file?

TIA.

Regards,

LB